- Likeness of bank-notes
457 (1) No person shall make, publish, print, execute, issue, distribute or circulate, including by electronic or computer-assisted means, anything in the likeness of
- (a) a current bank-note; or
- (b) an obligation or a security of a government or bank.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to
- (a) the Bank of Canada or its employees when they are carrying out their duties;
- (b) the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or its members or employees when they are carrying out their duties; or
- (c) any person acting under a contract or licence from the Bank of Canada or Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
(3) A person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
(4) No person shall be convicted of an offence under subsection (3) in relation to the printed likeness of a Canadian bank-note if it is established that the length or width of the likeness is less than three-fourths or greater than one-and-one-half times the length or width, as the case may be, of the bank-note and
- (a) the likeness is in black-and-white only; or
- (b) the likeness of the bank-note appears on only one side of the likeness.
R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 457; 1999, c. 5, s. 12.